Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297349 - 19/04/2007 16:51 "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD"
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Wow. For once I'm not being treated like a criminal for watching a DVD that I've paid for. No annoying "you wouldn't steal a car..." trailer. No lengthy copyright message. Just a (admittedly, not particularly discreet) flyer inside the DVD case, and then straight into the movie.

It even let me skip the trailers.

Of course, it's probably copy-protected...

#297350 - 19/04/2007 16:56 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Which DVD?

#297351 - 19/04/2007 17:07 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: RobotCaleb]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I watched Smokin' Aces last night and it let me skip the trailers and such.

I kind of missed the shame and guilt I normally feel when I see the "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR" bit.

#297352 - 19/04/2007 17:09 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Do any of you actually run into a lot of DVDs these days that don't let you skip the trailers? I know this used to be quite a problem, but I haven't really seen it recently...

#297353 - 19/04/2007 17:29 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: RobotCaleb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Which DVD?

Ashamed as I am to admit it: Mission Impossible 3.

#297354 - 19/04/2007 17:45 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:
Which DVD?

Oh dear, I thought more of you Roger.....

Andy M

#297355 - 19/04/2007 17:47 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Mission Impossible 3.

Hey, can I get a copy of that?

#297356 - 19/04/2007 17:51 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Do any of you actually run into a lot of DVDs these days that don't let you skip the trailers?

My problem is that it takes me a while to remember to press the "Menu" button or "Title" button or whatever the correct button is, so I sit there futilely pressing the Skip button until I get annoyed and press the FF button so that the previews don't take very long.

Then, after getting to the menu, I remember that I should have just tried the Menu button to begin with, but I'm not really inclined at that point to go back and try it out.

On a tangential note, I don't understand why the "Skip" button is dumbed down to be a "Next Track" button, given the intelligence of DVD players in general. If the player knows that after it finishes this track that it needs to go to another chapter (maybe I have these terms backwards or otherwise wrong?), why not do that when I press the "Skip" button instead of playing stupid?

#297357 - 19/04/2007 17:56 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:
Wow. For once I'm not being treated like a criminal for watching a DVD that I've paid for. No annoying "you wouldn't steal a car..." trailer. No lengthy copyright message. Just a (admittedly, not particularly discreet) flyer inside the DVD case, and then straight into the movie.

Which DVD?

I now see why.

#297358 - 19/04/2007 19:05 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: andym]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Hey, it was on special in HMV. £8. I also picked up some £5 Jean-Claude Van Damme movies (the wife likes them for some reason) while I was in there...

#297359 - 19/04/2007 19:06 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Do any of you actually run into a lot of DVDs these days that don't let you skip the trailers? I know this used to be quite a problem, but I haven't really seen it recently...

Last I saw, every single Disney DVD.

There was a bit of an uproar about it, maybe they've changed that.

#297360 - 20/04/2007 00:59 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, it was on special in HMV. £8. I also picked up some £5 Jean-Claude Van Damme movies (the wife likes them for some reason) while I was in there...

Wow. Tom Cruise -- Jean-Claude Van Damme live boy-on-boy action. And cheap.

No HMV here, tho'

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#297361 - 20/04/2007 04:35 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Roger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
My pet peeve is not being able to insert the cd and press play on the player and not have to futz around with menus, or trailers, or even find out what happened to the DVD remote, just start the dang movie already. Edit: in this one thing VHS is much superior.

Edited by gbeer (20/04/2007 04:38)

#297362 - 20/04/2007 04:39 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Even better, the DVDs that simply start playing the feature when inserted (without even having to press play or select), and you only see the selection menu if you press the menu button.

#297363 - 20/04/2007 04:41 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I think I've only ever seen one of those.

#297364 - 20/04/2007 08:05 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: gbeer]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Edit: in this one thing VHS is much superior.

Not on Disney VHS's, now the children my daughter is nanny for are at a cartoon watching age, I've been digging out all the old VHS's from when she was growing up: It's reminded me of the 8+ minutes of patronising trailers, if you try and ff through them, kids think that they're missing something and kick up a fuss!
I thought I'd cracked it by laboriously putting them all on the hard disk without trailers, but if they can't physically push a VHS in to the slot, they can't grasp the concept and kick up a fuss!

#297365 - 20/04/2007 11:03 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: boxer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I thought I'd cracked it by laboriously putting them all on the hard disk without trailers, but if they can't physically push a VHS in to the slot, they can't grasp the concept and kick up a fuss!

Hardware Steve's youngest is apparently able to go to the CD rack, select a CD (on what criteria isn't really known), go and switch the CD player on, put the CD in, and press play. He's 18 months.

Peter

#297366 - 20/04/2007 11:45 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: boxer]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Edit: in this one thing VHS is much superior.

Not on Disney VHS's, now the children my daughter is nanny for are at a cartoon watching age, I've been digging out all the old VHS's from when she was growing up: It's reminded me of the 8+ minutes of patronising trailers, if you try and ff through them, kids think that they're missing something and kick up a fuss!

Fit dummy cassettes with RFID tags and use that to signal the PC to play the correct video

#297367 - 20/04/2007 12:17 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What about pressing PLAY while in the DVD Menu to actually (gasp) play the movie? Instead you have to move the little [insert whatever the highlight is on this movie which is probably different than the last 10 movies you've played] over to the "Play" text which may or may not be easily visible and which may be already selected or be left or right, up or down or a combination of them. Then of course press "Enter"

DVDs (in general) are probably the most counter-intuitively designed products of the past 20 years in my opinion. The problem comes first from the design of the players themselves, having far too many buttons than is required for even twice the included functionality. Then DVD authors implementing restrictions and creating truly annoying interfaces (menu structures, and overall design).

#297368 - 20/04/2007 12:25 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
DVDs (in general) are probably the most counter-intuitively designed products of the past 20 years in my opinion.

Right. As the anti-story to Steve's toddler, I once left my parents, both former nuclear physicists who've been using computers from time to time since the early 1960s, but who'd never used a DVD player before, in my house with the suggestion that they'd probably enjoy Fellowship of the Ring on DVD. They couldn't get it to work. (And this wasn't even Hugo's house: I had one TV, one SCART input, speakers built-in to the TV.)

Peter

#297369 - 20/04/2007 17:11 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: peter]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hey, my setup isn't designed to confuse people, no matter how much Claire thinks it is!

It's just a simple matter of getting the DVD player on, the amp on and to the right input, and the plasma on and to the right input. I suspect, however, that the number of permutations available for this setup has a lot of zeros after it.

Hugo

#297370 - 20/04/2007 17:25 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: altman]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Thats why programmable remotes like Universal or the Harmony are awesome. One button to get all the channels/inputs set and watch/listen to what you want. My setup could probably be a cause for insanity if I didn't have one.

#297371 - 20/04/2007 17:38 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
One button to get all the channels/inputs set and watch/listen to what you want.

If all your devices have discretes, yeah.

I'm not bitter.

#297372 - 20/04/2007 18:08 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Quote:

What device do you have that doesn't have discrete codes?

The Harmony remotes work around this in a clever way, there is a Help button that will ask you if the "TV is on", etc. That way the remote keeps track of what is on/off by itself, but if something gets out of sync, just press Help and answer the questions. Works well for me and keeps visitors to my place happy, too.

#297373 - 20/04/2007 19:48 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: cushman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:

What device do you have that doesn't have discrete codes?

My £2000 LCD TV's that I use in my production galleries? I had to buy the serial dongles for them as you can only address the inputs individually through the serial ports.

I've tried 'smart' remotes with macros, as soon as something gets out of step you're hosed. That's why I like serial ports on things.... it's just the control system engineer in me.

Andy M

#297374 - 20/04/2007 19:58 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That *is* clever. Hm. I may have to investigate one of these.

#297375 - 20/04/2007 20:22 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

This is the one I have, I'm pretty sure you can pick it up for $150 or less now.

#297376 - 20/04/2007 20:28 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: cushman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

We've got one of those Harmony remotes. It does the job, but it's very annoying as our TV (an ancient Mitsubishi projector) and our ReplayTV 5040 both lack the discrete bits. We're pressing the "help" button on a seemingly daily basis, particularly because our daughter's toys have a habit of piling up in front of the TV.

Luckily, all of this stuff is temporary, while we're in our rented house this year. Once we get back home next year, discrete codes will be an explicit requirement in any of our future A/V shopping needs. (Hopefully, by then, the price on shiny flat panels will have continued to fall. The newest LCDs seem very impressive.)

#297377 - 20/04/2007 20:34 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: tfabris]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
That *is* clever. Hm. I may have to investigate one of these.

I've got the Harmony 880, and swear by it, the help button works well when things get out of sync.

#297378 - 21/04/2007 14:08 Re: "Thank you for doing the right thing by buying this genuine DVD" [Re: BAKup]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I've got one of the lesser Harmonies and a Sony TV without discreet codes. Mine rarely messes up, and the help button fixes it right up.

That said, I'll be glad when all our devices are in HD and we can switch back to just having a receiver switch seamlessly between all devices instead of using multiple inputs on the TV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >